It can used to simulate a heavy load on a server, group of servers, network or object to test its strength or to analyze overall performance under different load types.
- Select Test Plan on the tree
- Add Thread Group
- To add Thread Group: Right click on the “Test Plan” and add a new thread group: Add -> Threads (Users) -> Thread Group
In the Thread Group control panel, enter Thread Properties as follows: We will take an example of row no 5.
- Number of Threads: 5 – Number of users connects to the target website
- Loop Count: 5 – Number of time to execute testing
- Ramp-Up Period: 5 – It tells JMeter how long to delay before starting the next user. For example, if we have 5 users and a 5 -second Ramp-Up period, then the delay between starting users would be 1 second (5 seconds /5 users)
Step 2 – Adding JMeter elements
The JMeter element used here is HTTP Request Sampler. In HTTP Request Control Panel, the Path field indicates which URL request you want to send
Add HTTP Request Sampler
To add: Right-click on Thread Group and select: Add -> Sampler -> HTTP Request.
Below mentioned are the values use in HTTP Request to perform the test
- Name – HTTP Request
- Server Name or IP – localhost
- Port – 8010
- Method – GET
- Path – /demo/helloworld/demo
Step 3 – Adding Listeners to Test Plan
Listeners – They shows the results of the test execution. They can show results in a different format such as a tree, table, graph or log file
We are adding View Result Tree listener
View Result Tree – View Result Tree show results of the user request in basic HTML format
To add: Right click Test Plan, Add -> Listener -> View Result Tree
Complete Test Plan will look like as shown below
Step 4 – Save the Test Plan
To Save: Click File Select -> Save Test Plan as ->Give name of the Test Plan. It will be save as .jmx format
Sample .jmx File
Step 5 – Run the Test Plan
Click on Green Triangle as shown below to run the test
Step 6 – View the Execution Status
Click on View Result Tree to see the status of Run. Successful request will be of Green color in the Text Section
Sample of Failed Request. Failed request will be of Red color in View Result Tree under Text option. This screen sows the reason for the failure of the request like Connection refused here.